ACTIVATEC BIOMASS PURIFIER
Biocity, Nottingham, UK
Activatec develops and scales up processes for the production of biobased chemicals, materials and ingredients.
Enriched PPB biomass will contain PHAs among others. In order to get a biopolymer that can be used for other industries, it must be extracted and purified. Activatec is developing new purification steps to be used in the demo plant with lower cost, higher performance, and lower environmental impact in comparison to conventional methods.
On the other hand, Ectoine must be purified to be used for cosmetic applications. Activatec is developing the downstream operations for large scale production to obtain high purity and quantity of commercial grade ectoine.
Activatec Ltd counts on a specialized team of engineers (chemical and biochemical engineers), researchers and lab technicians which develops the following unit operations and activities:
- Hydrolysis, fermentation, enzymatic catalysis, solvent extraction
- Liquid-solid / Liquid-liquid extraction, Supercritical fluid extraction
- Solid-liquid separations (centrifugation and filtration)
- Freeze drying, preparative chromatography, adsorption, crystallization
- Analytical methods development and validation
- Access to versatile facilities and experts in highly complex processes
Moreover, using the experimental results, Activatec is able to carry out:
- Process flowsheet design and simulation
- Technical and economic analysis
- Manage procurement and installation activities